Monday, September 23, 2013

The Norn Cast

Many authors of Rune books and websites mention the Norns, linking them to the Runes.  Some of those authors and websites, as well as Rune practitioners, even use a Norn cast.  In The Runes in 9 Minutes, Odinsson explains what a Norn cast is.  Although he represents the Norns using past present and future, which, to me, is an oversimplification, Odinsson does make a point of saying that "our ancestors did not believe the future was predetermined."

What he is alluding to is the idea that I mentioned last week, when I summarized the Norns. While the past and present are certain, we cannot know the future.  We can know only what the future should be based on our past and current actions, experiences, and choices.

That said, we can still engage with the Runes and ask about our past, present, and potential future.  That is the Norn cast.  Draw three Runes.  The first represents Urd (the past); the second represents Verdandi (the present); and the third Skuld (what should be).  I like the idea of this kind of draw, because essentially what the Runes tell us in this case is, "Here's where you've been, which has brought you to where you are.  If you stay on this path, this is where you should end up."  Then, the choice is up to us to decide if that potential future, that 'should be', is where we really want to go and, if not, we can take steps to change direction.

With that understanding, I decided to attempt a Norn cast.  I chose to ask about the young readers series that my daughter and I are writing.  We've completed the first draft of the first book and have plenty of ideas for more, but things have stalled a bit.  So, I want to know where it is going.  What is its potential?

As I drew the first Rune, I asked Urd what she would like me to know about the past life of this series.  Likewise, I asked Verdandi and Skuld what they would like to tell me about its current situation and potential future, respectively.  I have to say the first two Runes I drew were very fitting and the third made me feel optimistic.


Drawing Ingwaz, a great fertility Rune, to represent the past assures me that the time was right to begin writing the book.  The idea was well-formed and the story was ready to be shared.  It also reminds me of the writing process.  I spent about 90 minutes every Saturday for several months working on it and, each time I sat down to write, the words just flowed.  They were ready to be picked from my mind.

Thurisaz is an interesting Rune from Verdandi.  It's the Rune of giants and thorns and it signifies potential trouble, but also great potential power.  I believe this almost mixed bag is true of the current situation.  Things have slowed on the writing front for the moment, but about half a dozen of my daughter's friends are reading the completed first draft and their feedback has been great!  So, thorny writing, but powerful or empowering feedback. (If you'd like to read a couple of sample chapters, they are up on my website.)

I think I will choose to stay on the path I began with these books, given that Skuld gave me Sowilo, the sun Rune.  As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, Sowilo is a hopeful sign, representing good fortune.  It also carries feminine energy, which I take to represent the partnership with my daughter and our targeted readers - girls aged 7-13.  Of course, if I do plan to stay on this path, to make this potential future my eventual present reality, there is work to be done - more writing, contacting agents/publishers, editing and so on.  I need to bring it off the back burner and get it moving again.  You see, that's the thing about the Runes; even when they give you good news, it doesn't mean you get to sit back and rest on your laurels.  You always have to step up and put in the effort.

This was a great introduction to the Norn cast.  I think I will use it again, knowing that I can always ask for additional guidance or extend my dialogue with the Runes or the Norns if Skuld gives me a "should be" that I don't want to have be.

No comments:

Post a Comment