Monday, July 16, 2012

Which Road?

Next week, it will be time for me to return to the workforce.  I have completed my MSc. and written my novel.  While I work on the sequel, I also have to work.  So, I asked the Runes what the best way to approach this situation is.  Which road will be the most effective, most productive?  I know many people have been in similar boats, where they are at a crossroads and must decide which way to go or have lost or left one job and must find another.  For anyone on the job hunt, whatever your circumstance is, I think this will offer some positive insight into this challenging endeavor.

However, as I am on vacation, I don't have access to my Rune images, so I'll add them to this post when I get home.  For now,  here are the Runes I drew and what they represent.  The Runes were Kenaz, Fehu, and Mannaz.

The Rune of the Torch, Kenaz, serves as the overview for this question.  While some interpret this Rune as a child's sore or illness, I tend to follow the Old English Rune Poem interpretation of the light from a flame or lamp.  The idea of a light represents multiple things, including the light at the end of the tunnel, enlightenment through knowledge or experience, and focused creativity.  In this case, all of these are viable options.  This is a time when we must be enlightened and focused, so that we may see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I laughed when I saw Fehu as the challenge this week.  Fehu, the Rune of money and wealth.  That is the goal, after all, to acquire money and wealth.  I don't think there is anymore to say on this front.  Our challenge is to find a satisfactory position that will pay us an acceptable wage for the work we do.

Our required action is depicted by Mannaz, the Rune of the self, humanity, and even culture.  We are not perfect; that is what makes us human.  Still, if we know ourselves, our skills, and our aspirations, and we remain true to those aspects of ourselves, we will find what we are looking for and it will, if all goes well, be rewarding for everyone involved.  We will do work that we enjoy; those we work for and with will appreciate the work we do, and in some way, it will positively affect the greater good.

Maybe I'm a dreamer in suggesting this.  There are those who would say, simply, "Suck it up and get a job."  There may come a time when that is a requirement, but, before then, I think every effort should be put into following the road that will lead you to happiness and not just a paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment