Monday, November 7, 2011

The Path to a Career?


Two weeks ago, I talked about having a lot of balls in the air and how to prioritize them so that they can all get done.  With November, comes a slight shift in priorities, because I am taking the NaNoWriMo challenge.  For those of you who don’t know, that’s short for National Novel Writing Month.  The challenge is to write 50,000 words toward a novel in the month of November.  While I’m not doing too badly, given life’s little circumstances, I am a bit behind.  So, today I ask the Runes what I need to accomplish this task.  This is what they said.


Isa, the Rune of Standstill or Ice.  I’m not sure I like this overview on first sight, but I can accept what it represents, because it doesn’t mean that nothing is happening.  Instead, it can be a sign of caution or it can indicate, as the idea of ice brings to my mind, a sense of calmness or, instead of a standstill, stillness.  Of course, if I am traveling an icy path and must be cautious as I traverse it, the only way to succeed is to submit to it, give in and realize that this is the way I have to go.  Now I know I must find time to do this.  To be fair, this is true.  If my time were all my own, I would spend it writing.

No situation is without its challenges and my challenge in finding time is Ehwaz, the Rune of Movement and the Horse.  The theme of a journey continues with this Rune, likening to a close relationship such as that between a rider and her horse.  Ehwaz signifies things such as travel for pleasure and a new attitude about life.  In many ways, as I shift more toward writing as a career and not just a hobby, the journey does become more pleasurable and, with that, my attitude improves.  If I am the rider and my writing is the horse, then my challenge is to guide the horse where I want it to take me both within the story I am telling and in my career as a professional “rider”.

It seems as though my action has been established for me in the two previous Runes – I am on an icy path and I must guide the horse over it carefully to make sure I get where I want and need to be.  It is probably precisely because I think I have it all figured out that the Runes bestowed Mannaz, the Rune of the Self, Humanness on me.  What does this mean?  Every journey we undertake begins with the self.  As humans, we all possess strengths and weaknesses.  We are wise to inventory those aspects of ourselves before climbing into the saddle.  Therefore, while my path may be clear and I know I am in charge of reaching the destination I have determined, the only way I will accomplish this journey is by facing who I am, good and bad as I start out on this path.

Isn't it interesting that I asked the Runes about completing a single task and they presented it as a step toward something much more satisfying than finishing a project. NaNoWriMo may be only a month long challenge, but it is one of the important stops on my path to a career as a writer or rider if you prefer.  Giddy-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment